Built by White Bros. of Southampton on the River Itchen, 1912, 'Duet' was originally named 'Gaviota' and designed by Linton Hope. She was renamed 'Duet' when was bought by the famous explorer, Augustine Courtauld in the 1930s who kept her at West Mersea and Tollesbury. She circumnavigated the UK in 1932. She cruised to the Baltic and Mediterranean.
On his death in 1959, ownership passed to his son, Reverend Christopher Coutauld who set up the Ocean Youth Club in 1960. Whilst being used by the Ocean Youth Club, she was based at Brightlingsea and 'Duet' first took part in the OGA East Coast Race. Her performance was consistent, being the first boat home in 1967, 1968 and 1969, although her handicap placed her much further down the field. In 1973 and 1974, she took part in the OGA Solent Race, again consistent, but only fifth over the line each time.
In 1975, 'Duet' took part in the 50th anniversary Fastnet Race, where there was an Old Gaffers class for the first time. She won the British Seagull Award for first around the Rock, the Bordon Trophy for first boat home and Blake Pot for first boat built before 1925 to finish.
Watch the video of Duet sailing